I love the leftovers from this dish. Rosemary Warmuth of West Virginia used this recipe in a Pillsbury Bake-Off Contest.
4 slices bacon
1 lb lean ground beef
3 T chopped onion
3 T oil
2 1/2 cups frozen hash-brown potatoes, thawed
11 oz can Mexicorn, drained
4.5 oz can chopped green chiles, drained
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
8 oz (2 cups) shredded Cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp salt, if desired
1/4 tsp pepper, if desired
16.3 oz can refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (Grands)
1. Heat oven to 400. Cook bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towel; crumble. Set aside.
2. In a 12″ cast iron skillet or other ovenproof skillet (I double-wrap the handle of a heavy skillet with foil), brown ground beef and onion over medium heat until beef is cooked through, stirring frequently. Drain. Place beef mixture in a medium bowl; cover to keep warm.
3. Add oil to same skillet. Heat over med-high heat until hot. Add potatoes; cook 3-5 minutes or until browned, stirring constantly. Add cooked ground beef, corn, chiles, barbecue sauce, cheese, salt & pepper; mix well. Cook until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with bacon.
4. Separate dough into 8 biscuits. Arrange biscuits over hot mixture.
5. Bake at 400 for 16-24 minutes or until biscuits are deep golden brown and bottoms are no longer doughy.