I forgot to type up this E-mealz recipe before their post was removed. We loved it, and it was not very spicy so it was suitable for young kids. I’ll do my best to remember it here:
In a crockpot combine:
1 lb dried red beans
16 oz sliced smoked sausage
1/2 onion, chopped
2-3 ribs of celery, chopped
2 bell peppers, chopped (the recipe called for one red and one green, but I used two red)
1 Tablespoon Creole seasoning
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
7 cups water
Cook on high for seven hours.
Serve with rice and cornbread. Delicious!
This recipe is actually called Chili in Bread Bowls from Taste of Home, but since we rarely put it in bread bowls I’ve omitted that part. (It’s easy enough: just buy a sturdy round loaf such as sourdough, gut it, and refill with the cooked chili. If the chili is runny, use a slotted spoon to put it in the bread bowls so they won’t get soggy on the bottom.) People really love this recipe!
1/2 lb cubed chicken breast, boneless/ skinless
1/2 lb cubed pork, boneless
1/2 lb cubed beef stew meat
In batches, shake meat in a bag with some flour, salt & pepper. (About a tablespoon of flour.) In batches, brown the meat in canola oil. Put browned meat in a crock pot.
1 medium onion
1 bell pepper (we prefer red, but green is more traditional for chili)
1 jalapeno (seeded)
Add these to the crock pot.
Throw into the mix:
28 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
16 oz can kidney beans, drained & rinsed
15.5 oz can navy beans or great northern beans, drained & rinsed
8 oz can tomato sauce
minced garlic clove (we always use at least two cloves)
Finally, the spices:
1 T chili powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper
Mix together and heat on low for 7-8 hours. Serve in bread bowls or with corn bread. Wear sweaters and act merry.
This is the way I always cook a chicken before using it in chicken pot pie. I also cook it just for eating, since J loves it so much. My mother-in-law gave this to me from All Recipes, submitted by ‘Cotton’ Couch.
2-3 lb whole chicken
1 tsp paprika
s & p
1. Wad 3 pieces of foil into 3-4″ balls and place them in the bottom of the slow cooker.
2. Rinse chicken, inside & out, under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towels. Season the chicken with the salt, pepper and paprika, and place in the slow cooker on top of the foil balls.
3. Set the slow cooker to high for 1 hour, then turn it down to low for about 8-10 hours, or until the chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear.
*Weird confession: I hate handling whole chickens like this because they remind me of babies. (I like babies, though. I just don’t like crossing babies with crockpots.)
My mother-in-law gave this to me from All Recipes. J absolutely loves whole chicken cooked in the crock pot. It was submitted to All Recipes from Dawn Ash.
1 apple–peeled, cored, & quartered
1 stalk celery with leaves, chopped
3 lb whole chicken
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1 onion, chopped
1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
1 lemon, zested & juiced
1 cup hot water
1. Rub salt & pepper into the skin of the chicken. Place apple & celery inside the chicken. Place chicken in slow cooker. Sprinkle chopped onion, rosemary, and lemon juice and zest over chicken. Pour 1 cup hot water into the slow cooker.
2. Cover, and cook on high for 1 hour. Switch to Low, and cook for 6-8 hours, basting several times.